Is your electrical system safe? We have compiled these 6 questions you should ask yourself:
Is your breaker panel over 30 years old?
Do you have a panel manufactured by Federal Pacific (FPE)? FPE panels are not safe!
Federal Pacific Electric Company (FPE) was one of the most common manufacturers of breaker panels from the 1950s to the 1980s. Millions of these panels were installed in homes across the country. After home owners and electricians reported numerous cases where FPE breakers failed to provide over-current protection, they were taken off the market. Experts now say that FPE panels can appear to work fine for years, but after just one over-current or short circuit, they can overheat and become a fire hazard. Additionally, FPE breakers have been know to continue to pass electrical current even when in the “off” position, thus causing a serious electrocution hazard. If you have a Federal Pacific Electrical panel in your home, the only course of action is replacement. Look for the FPE logo or “Stab Lok” logo.
Do you have a panel manufactured bu Zinsco or Zinsco-Sylvania?
Zinsco panels are a safety concern. While FPE Stab-Lok electrical panels pose the highest electrical risks, Zinsco and some Sylvania panels experience a larger than average failure rate.
Zinsco electrical panels and Zinsco circuit breakers are regularly found in the field with evidence of arcing, contact-point burn, and even circuit breaker case blow-out. If you have a Zinsco or Zinsco-Sylvania electrical panel, it should be replaced to reduce some very real fire and shock hazards.
Do you have a fuse box instead of a breaker panel?
Does your electrical panel or breakers feel warm or even hot to the touch?
Is there any evidence of burning or arcing on your breakers or connections?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you should have your panel inspected immediately, and more than likely, replaced. In addition, if you noticed any aluminum wiring, you should also have your panel inspected by an electrician.
With FPE being the worst, panels of these types are know to fail to provide over-current protection sometimes fail to disconnect when manually turned off. These conditions pose both fire and electrocution risks.